Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Few Tantalizing Tidbits

I'm deep into the planning of my next novel, and it's getting to be so good that I can't help but share a little. So read closely, and gather what you can! Most of it is fairly obscure and should tantalize you a little.

"It always seemed most curious to me, that the Elarasters have always sworn to peace and have never participated in anything remotely warlike...if in battle, they would be unstoppable, and forever immortalized as heroes, hailed as the great warriors of old reborn." Loc Shallin, "The Elarasters: A Collection of Loc Shallin Works" (Tower-Summit Publications) Printed 852 W.C.

"The spring, the spring! The mountain must not be uncovered! Doom be upon us if we unveil that which must never be brought to light!" (A quote from my 15,000-word document titled "A History of the Elathim")

"Not even the oldest and wisest can remember the tales of days long past, when the dew was heavy and the sun dim and far away. The memory of those days is lost, only preserved in the writings of one man, but he does not enter this tale, and his name is not known." (A History of the Elathim)

Here are also two poems that also pertain to this novel. They're edited for length: the original versions were much longer.


The Curse

Once a dear friend spoke these words to me
While the realm took refuge in the lee:
"One man's folly made the Mist burn
One man's drink will make the curse return."

One man's folly made the mist burn
One man's drink will make the curse return.

Can the lost be found, the low arise?
Can the blind see with different eyes?
Can those who fall be lifted up again?
Can those unclean be made clean men?

One man's folly created a wall
One man's cup sealed our pall.

All is brought to ruin, all has failed
While the voice is in prison jailed
The fell sons of men die and are naught
All this because of one man's draught.

It was one man that started this curse:
It was one man that brought us worse.

The haunted one shall seek a cure
The cursed one will make us pure
The curse is liquid, the cost is blood
But forgiveness shall release the flood.

Two men brought our curses nigh:
Will two men cause the curse to die?

The Day the Voice was Lost
A Wyndian song
from the Hundred-Year Siege

The spring was clear and cold
The mountains tall and old
The man was strong and bold
The day the voice was lost.

Reaches he the water cold
In those mountains dark and old
His spirit to the darkness sold
The day the voice was lost.

Now we stay and count the cost
The day the voice was lost.

What do you think? Good? Better yet, what sort of notions do you gather from this? (*chuckles* I'm feeling rather sadistic - but I think that comes with being a writer. Withholding information is such fun.)

And while I'm at it: what are you all working on? Have anything so epic that you just HAVE to share it?

World-builders forever. ^_^ *fist-bump*


4 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

Wow. I'm just feeling...well....it seems that there is such a deep history of the Elathim. It feels so real! I feel like...oh, legends are sprouting! I like it very much. Especially the poems. :-)

Well, I'm not so sure I want to share any particulars...especially since I don't have a blog to put them on, BUT I am pleased to say that my next book is inspired by several Old Testament stories....yesyesmypreciouss. And I'm finally trying to write something with God in it. Like, for real. I want the glory to go to Him.

And I'm kind of scared. But I will try.

Farrah D. said...

I love what I'm hearing!!!! Especially the poems! Those were beautiful!

Jake said...

@Hannah Joy

That's the fear we all have. What if we "preach"? What if people accuse us of trying to shove our message down peoples' throats? What if people think we're proselytizing? What if, what if?

I've felt a lot of that, especially with this novel. I've got an entire document just dealing with the theme, trying to make it as honest and yet not-preachy as possible. I've literally written out, in exposition, what my characters feel and what *I* feel about the theme. I've poured it out to God in prayer.

And still the fears plague us. But if God is for us, then what matters? If we write it for His glory and people tear it to shreds, then we'll be able to stand tall on that day when we meet Him face to face and say: this is what I wrote for You! We are not ashamed of the Gospel.

"And I'm finally trying to write something with God in it. Like, for real. I want the glory to go to Him."

Yes! Yes! When a generation of writers rises up and dares to glorify God, no matter what happens: that'll change things and shake up the literary world. God will move when we put our faith in Him. Good for you, Hannah!

Leilani Sunblade said...

You're making me very, very, very curious, Jake. All I know for sure is that this novel sounds very cool.

Right now, I'm working on the sequel to my NaNoWriMo novel. It's fun. And I've been doing a lot of plot twists over the last few days. And character building. And making characters get knocked unconscious. (Very fun)