Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What I've Been Up to Lately...

I admit, I have not worked upon my novel for quite a long time. G. K. Chesterton, in his book 'Orthodoxy', talked about a fancy he often has for writing a romance, about an Englishman who 'discovers' England under the impression it was a new island in the South Seas.

So it is with my novel: I often dream about writing and revising and rewriting my novel. However, the words that come after Chesterton's statement apply to me as well; "I always find, however, that I am either too busy or too lazy to write this fine work."

For me, it is undoubtedly the former. The curse of a busy life has crowded out my writing (and, as you can see, my blogging).

However, I have had some time to read, sneakily popping open my Kindle light at night to read Chesterton, or grabbing some free books I find. (Huzzah for free Kindle books!) Here's a list of what I've been reading lately:

Imaginary Jesus, by Matt Mikalatos: A hilarious, not-quite-true story about a guy who finds out his Jesus (robe, sandals, and all) is fake. A good, lighthearted novel with some intriguing allegory. And near-death (near-Jesus?) experiences thrown in for some spice.

Worth a read.  Run to the Kindle store, folks: it's still free.  They have a Kindle app for PC and Mac, so it should be fairly easy to just read it on you computer in your spare time.

'Tis one of those laugh-out-loud books.

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton:  Ah, yes, Chesterton. I have recently (in the last couple of days) developed a taste for him. Sarcastic, confusing, humorous, with some great philosophical insights, Orthodoxy is worth a read. 'Tis confusing at first, but if you keep looking for quotes you'll eventually get into it and enjoy it immensely. I'm about halfway through. :)

This one's also free on Kindle, since it's a classic.  Great, great book.

And very quotable. Haha.  I'm driving my friends and family crazy.  "You know, Chesterton once said..."

The Scarlet Pimpernel:  Daring escapes, the upheaval of the French Revolution, and a mysterious man known only as the Scarlet Pimpernel. While sometimes the mystery seemed painfully obvious, it was a good read, dotted with colorful descriptions (and sometimes colorful language :P), betrayal, and intrigue. And the concept of the Scarlet Pimpernel was genius.

Also free on Kindle, LOL (and then as I end the refrain...).  *blinks*  What?  You don't get it?  *facepalm*  Obscure reference to Cyrano de Bergerac.  Pay no attention to..!  *cough*  My apologies.


The Count of Monte Cristo: Another classic--I had read Alexandre Dumas before, but his use of words floored me again. He spends pages, at times, describing persons, places, or things with great color.

 The Count is a complex character, bent on revenge, gifted with a sharp mind and great knowledge, and as rich as a gold mine. Treasure, intrigue, unfair trial: I am not yet through with this massive book, but it is very good so far.

If you can get past a couple boring portions (which, seemingly, have nothing to do with the plot), this is a great book to read.

In the near future, I shall be reading Masters & Slayers, The Ale Boy's Feast (I was ecstatic when I ordered a pre-release copy of it through BloggingForBooks), Warrior, The Pendragon Cycle, and more. :) Also, I should be reviewing 'Summa Elvetica' soon, provided I have the time.


Well, I'm off again. Time is calling me...it wants me back. (Obscure reference [again] to The Dreamhouse Kings.)

Au voir! Adieu! Farewell! Do not be eaten.

*disappears into the mist*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imaginary Jesus was... weird.

I want to drive to Jeffrey Overstreet's house and steal a copy. Not really.... but I do live nearby... hmmmm *snickers*

I actually just got Summa Elvetica in the mail ;-) From the first chapter, at least, it looks pretty good.

Also, I got Through a Screen Darkly by Jeffrey Overstreet. I recommend it. Even though it's mostly about movies, I've been able to learn a lot about reviewing in general.

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

O.o o.O Amazing! I must read those books *hums and haws* but I must study for my English 221 midterm which is tomorrow...and I haven't even picked up my notes ONCE! :( phooey, I shall return later!

whisper said...

YES!! *does victory dance* You're reading the Scarlet Pimpernel?? Ah, how I love that book! There are indeed flaws, as you mentioned, but la! 'tis still one of my favorites!

"Time is calling me... it wants me back." I'll have to remember that one. >_>

Go Bold said...

I have listened to the scarlet pimpernel on audio and also watched the old movie. I liked it.

what is your novel about? I am interested because I am writing one too! I've been writing it for a year! ideas are always hard to come upon...

---Rachel-

T.D. said...

Hey, great post!

I really want to read the Scarlet Pimpernel.. thanks for reminding me! :) I saw the 80's movie version of the book, and liked it. But that doesn't really count, does it??

Again, thanks for the post!

Jake said...

@Beorn/Nolan
Imaginary Jesus was a good weird. XD Great books, it looks like...happy readings!

@Squeaks
Alas! Tests, tests. Nevertheless, I do hope you get some time to read them, for they are worth reading. :)

@Whisper
Indeed, the Scarlet Pimpernel. I was running on bookish fumes one day, and your review of the SP came to mind; I checked it out and found it was free. :) So, formal thanks for indirectly introducing me to such a marvelous adventure!

@Rachael
My novel? 'Tis a wide subject! I am currently writing a post, however, which may shed some light on this shadowy object known as 'The Book of Shaldu', my novel in the making. Or, remaking.

@Director
'Tis worth the read. I have never seen the movie, so nay, it does not count. ;)