Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Question for Readers

Okay, so I've been having a bit of trouble with my novel. Two things, actually.

One; I am starting to run out of things to edit, revise, and rewrite in my first novel. I know there's mistakes lurking in there, and there's a lot of things I need to polish if only I can figure out a way to do it.

Two; My novel is short. Too short The previous paragraph is related to this, as I'm getting a lot of my length from my rewriting. I'm sure I can add several plot revisions somewhere- if only I could figure out how.

See the pattern? So my question to you, readers (those that write), is (you've guess it); How do you handle things like this? Some of you may not have the length problem, but I'm sure most of you have had trouble with finding the elusive mistakes.

So again;

How do you deal with stuff on the problems of length and revision? Or how do you do revision, editing, and rewriting in the first place? Comment or email me for an answer. I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

5 comments:

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Hey Jake, I thought I'd let you know (please don't publish this comment), but I believe your sister's name is Alex (according to a previous post)...anyways, when I went onto your user profile I clicked on the blogs that you followed that I hadn't heard of and I got onto your sister's blog (called: Blessed Femininity) If I'm wrong, please ignore this :P but If I'm right then that probably means that your sister's blog is public to anyone who views your profile.

Anyhoo...just thought I'd point that out.

Squeaks.

Jake said...

Yep. But I have more than one sister. :)

My youngest sister is the one who had the birthday. Alex is the oldest sister. All of them are younger than me, thank goodness! :D

Nice 'Sherlock Holmes' deduction, though. I would've NEVER found that out if I was you. :)

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

LOL! I really wasn't sniffing for anything :P I like finding new stuff by seeing what other people are following. That's how I found your blog and most others. Anyways, I'm glad that the case is closed :P

Squeaks.

Galadriel said...

The first question is:
Is the story complete at its current length?
Because if it is, there is nothing to gain from extending it.
If not, ask yourself what it needs to be complete.

Jake said...

Depends on what you mean by complete. In physical form, the story is done, but there are some things I feel I need to expand. I keep getting this feeling that something is missing... Some-thing...

Anyway, thanks for the tip!