Monday, May 3, 2010

Tip for May 3, 2010; Inspirational!; Real Inspiration

Okay, how do most people define inspiration?
-Dictionary; the process of being mentally stimulated to do something creative.
-Regular people; A good idea
-Writers; A wonderful, creative, unique (at least at the time!) idea for a plot line, story, twist, etc. or a need to write

Isn't that inspiration?

Me; No.

Jack London does a good job of describing inspiration in this quote; "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

Besides being an awesome quote, it accurately tells you how to get inspired; go after it with a club. Figuratively, of course. That's why it's a good idea to have a deadline, or a time for writing every day. I find that the hardest time to write is when I start writing. As I go along, though, I get inspired by my own words... :D

What do you think?


4 comments:

RED~Scribe said...

Yeah, I agree. I usually have to sit at the computer for close to an hour before the words actually start to flow. Then I can't get them to stop and I'll end up writing until somewhere close to 1:00 in the morning. I have to find a new time to chase inspiration. . .

~God Bless~

Star-Dreamer said...

Eldra: ha,ha! me too! In fact, it's now almost 1:30 am, and I'm still on the computer.

I wouldn't nessisarily say that inspiraction IS sitting down at the computer and just plain writing: that is how a writer can FIND inspiration, but it is not actual inspiration. And inspiration may not be the most wonderful idea that a writer comes across, but it may be an idea that he/she would like to "fiddle" with and see what new levels he/she can take it to.

To be honest, I think that "Eldrie" (the novel I am now working on instead of Song of the Daystar) is uniquely inspired. However, I've heard many times that Song of the Daystar follows the plot of "a small time boy learns that he can do something big and becomes a hero". But that's where true inspiration walks in, allowing the author to take that almost overused plot structure and make it something interesting that people really want to read. Even though I've been told that I use a very well known plot structure, I've also had people tell me that they would read my book because I introduce the plot structure in a very unique way.

Well, anyway, that's my outlook on inspiration: let me know if you think I'm way off the mark. :)

Jake said...

@Star-Dreamer
No, no, I completely agree with you. I suppose I was a little vague on what I meant when I was talking about finding inspiration. Sorry!

Oh, and I'd read your book BECAUSE it follows the well-used plot line. Perhaps because it's familiar, but I always love reading about something small that becomes something big. :)

Nathan R. Petrie said...

"I am inspired by my own words..." :D Made me laugh LOL

But yeah, I know what you mean :) I've learned ways to get inspiration and "in the mood" for writing. So....that's always good!